Australia is a great place to live and work, offering lifestyle and employment opportunities. To work, you must have a valid Australian visa with work rights. A range of temporary and permanent skilled visas are available. Australian laws provide all employees with basic rights and protection in the workplace.
TEMPORARY WORK VISA
This visa lets a skilled worker travel to Australia to work in their nominated occupation for their approved sponsor for up to four years.
You might be able to get this visa if:
- You have been sponsored by an approved business
- You have the required skills to fill a position nominated by an approved business.
SKILLED INDEPENDENT VISA
This visa is for points-tested skilled workers who are not sponsored by an employer or family member or nominated by a state or territory government.
It allows you to live and work in Australia as a permanent resident.
You might be eligible to apply for this visa if invited. When we sent your letter of invitation, you must also have:
- Nominated an occupation that is on the relevant skilled occupation list
- Obtained a suitable skills assessment for that occupation
- Not yet turned 50 years of age
- Achieved the score specified in your letter of invitation based on the factors in the points test
- Competent in English