Dependent visa allows you to study in Australia up to 3 months, work during your stay in Australia (up to 20 hours/week). You do not need to enroll in any course / school in Australia but your partner, a student visa holder, will be allowed to study and work as well. You can be nominated by your partner in his/her application for student visa, or he/she can nominate you while already studying in Australia.


Generally, you can apply for dependent visa:

  1. if you are partner / member of family unit of a holder of some type of temporary visa in Australia (for example, student visa)
  2. if your partner is an Australian resident (permanent residency)
  3. spouse (including de facto spouse) of the student visa holder, or
  4. dependent child (unmarried and younger than 18 years) of the student visa holder.

If you are not married with your partner, but you would like to apply for spouse dependent visa, you have to submit evidence that you have lived together for a period of at least 12 months prior to lodging visa application. Married couples can apply after submission of marriage certificate.